1. A pore is an opening on the skin which allows sweat, oil and other hormonal secretions to be transported to the surface layers of the skin.
2. Genetics play a role determining pore size. Does your mother or father have large pores? Then there’s a good chance you might too.
3. Lighter and fairer skins tend to have smaller, finer pores than darker skin tones or oil rich skins.
4. Pores change over time. As skin matures and loses firmness pores will also appear to stretch or look more obvious.
5. Dehydrated skin will also make pores look more visible as the skin stretches and emphasises pore size.
6. Cleaner pores are less obvious than pores that are clogged with makeup, dirt or oil. Regular cleansing and exfoliation are the key, while a weekly treatment mask will also help.
7. A blackhead is a small plug of oil, possibly combined with dead skin cells, that sits in a pore and oxidises causing the oil to discolour.
8. NEVER squeeze a blackhead (no matter how tempting!). Squeezing pimples or blackheads can also damage pores which will make them more obvious in size.
9. Clean skin that is regularly exfoliated is the best way to treat and prevent blackheads. Squeezing does not help and only increases the chance of a localised infection which will then turn the blackhead into a pimple and make it much more visible.
AT A GLANCE: JURLIQUE’S PORE-PERFECT PRODUCTS
For fresh clean skin try Rose Moisture Plus With Antioxidant Complex Moisturising Cleanser which not only cleans the skin but also has very gentle exfoliating properties.
Daily Exfoliating Cream will help to gently remove dead skin cells and reveal smooth, clear skin.
For targeted areas of congestion and multiple blackheads try Blemish Cream to help rebalance and conceal or Purifying Mask at night to help address excess oil and uneven skin texture while gently exfoliating.